And here come the School holidays again! I should feel excited about spending time with my kids, getting out of routine, having family holidays and enjoying the festive spirit but those feelings are mixed with feelings of exhaustion, anxiety and dread! What about ME??? Does anyone else feel that the Summer holidays and festivities leave them feeling drained and wishing away January until the new school year starts again?
Being Mums, we tend to put ourselves last on the present list, time list and feeling good about ourselves list so my little message to you this Summer holidays is, Happy Mummy = Happy kids = Happy family! So how do you make yourself happy amidst all the activities, family and chaos surrounding holiday time? Here are a few little tips and tricks to try!
- Mumpreneurs- Schedule minimal work time into the chaos (change your working hours to evenings if you have to, focus on the priorities of your business, inform your clients of your holiday schedule and that you’ll only be attending to urgent requests)
- Communicate your needs to those around you clearly (let the family, colleagues and friends know your needs; be it for personal time, work time or play time)
- Make sure you use the additional family support that public holidays bring to run away and read a book, take some sanity time out!
- Keep the kids busy but not always running them from one activity to another, use good old fashioned activities at home to keep them busy creating their own mayhem whilst you have a cup of tea!
- Remember that this is a special time of life, being a Mum with kids who still want to hang out with you, and that’s why you’ve chosen to be a Mum!
- Go on holiday with other families if you can, you only need 1 adult to supervise kids, the others can chill out and you can all get a break at some point
- Relaxing the kids routine means you can relax yours too, try and enjoy the freedom that school holidays bring, use it for creative thinking time for your business/self, instead of the daily grind time
Now, I just have to take my own advice and I hope we can all enjoy the Summer Break with our families and use it to foster the most important relationships in our lives, those with our families!
I am a Mum of 2 boys and the Director and Lead Coach at The Edge Coaching. I specialise in empowering Mums to create a lifestyle that works FOR THEM, not just works! I also love helping Mums find themselves again after becoming a Mum. I also run workshops through my “Buidling Working Parent Resilience” Programme for Organisations committed to supporting their Working Mums in pursuing their personal and professional goals! For more information please check out my website http://www.theedgecoaching.org and my blog http://theedge4mums.com for my insights into the wonderful but crazy world of Motherhood!